Places in a student residence are always limited. But, how do you get a place? To validate the request, you must know the conditions of entry and the steps to take. Then, don't forget to anticipate your budget and evaluate the type of contract before signing. Preparing for your move is very important in this new life. This article gives you the criteria for choosing student housing.

How do you choose your location first?

If you continue your studies in another city, it is better to search for a new home, but where? A shelter located near the University is a good reason to facilitate the travel, be punctual in arriving at school and avoid fatigue.  The student residence is often a temporary housing, the idea of renting a furnished and equipped building ensures your needs during this time. But the necessary materials must be in the apartment like:
  • the bed with comforter;
  • an oven;
  • cooking plates;
  • a freezer;
  • kitchen utensils and dishes;
  • a table and seats;
  • some storage shelves;
  • cleaning materials and lighting fixtures.
Rent is slightly more expensive with a furnished apartment than with an empty studio. But it is still difficult to practice moving in and out, especially to buy new useful equipment and furniture. 

What are the conditions for entering a student residence?

There are requirements for entry into student residences, regardless of the type of accommodation chosen. You can choose between two types of residences for students in France:
  • The CROUS manages the university residences, which is given priority to scholarship students;
  • private residences.
According to the social criteria, scholarship students are given priority for housing in a university residence. So, who has the right to live in this place? According to the admission organization, it depends on the situation of each student, or the difficulty of the cases, for example:
  • Scholarship students from abroad;
  • exchange students;
  • Students with disabilities (blind and motor);
  • family income and dependent children;
  • students away from their place of study.
In general, how do I apply? You must be enrolled for a maximum of 3 years or 5 years for students with disabilities at your institution, but each student must be at least 26 years old. For private residences, the formality is not too demanding, it is enough to provide the useful documents like the application for a normal rent. However, you should be prepared for the budget, with a scholarship or a financial aid to the residence, your expenses can be reduced considerably. In fact, it is not easy to get a place in the university dormitories. Therefore, builders offer special housing closer to the schools, which are differentiated by its size and furnishings. Obviously, the cost of renting these types of apartments is not the same as a house for rent for ordinary people.

What are the steps to follow to obtain a place?

The application must be made in advance in order to obtain your student housing. For the university residence, you must provide the student social file or (DSE). It is available every year from January 15 to May 30, you can download this document 24 hours a day on the website of the CROUS of the academy. But it is renewable annually in a non-automatic way. Don't forget the necessary documents: the student card, the joint & several guarantee and the home insurance certificate which covers the rental risks. At the end of June, if you have received a positive response, a first month's rent payment will guarantee the reservation of your place. If you are unable to make this payment by mid-July, you may lose your place. There are many sites on the Internet to choose private student residences. You can create an account to register your profile, and make the reservation of your place via this specialized site. For the preparation of the admission file, you always need: student card, identity card, RIB, tax notice, proof of residence and salary slips. For the signature of the online lease, or the monthly rent, the payment of the entrance fee is necessary. This is a security deposit. To continue your studies and to be accommodated in a pleasant place, the choice depends on your budget and the quality/price ratio. Indeed, the rents vary according to the type of apartment and the different services, for example:
  • Location;
  • Comfort and decoration;
  • A studio to F3;
  • Equipment;
  • A la carte meals (food, drinks);
  • Other services offered.
During the comparison, the recognized lodgings near the universities allow to take advantage of a calibrated service offer. On the other hand, the atypical residences represent the good surprises. In terms of user-friendliness, some of the private homes offer free or paid additional services such as:
  • a laundry room, with a dryer or an iron;
  • free parking, a secure station for bicycles;
  • a gym or weight room;
  • access to an Internet or WIFI connection;
  • a cleaning service;
  • a study room, games room, TV room to learn or entertain during free time.

5 basic things to know about renting

  • See the classified ads about the different rooms for rent near the schools:
  • Studio F1, T1 to 9 m² minimum;
  • A separate room or T2 with 2 rooms;
  • A separate room with no window or T1 bis.
  • The amount of the security deposit is the rent of the student residence 1 month apart from the charges or 2 months for a furnished apartment. It is better to pay the money when signing the lease.
  • For an individual or professional lessor, he must acquire the mandatory diagnoses: energy performance, the state of the electricity and gas installations and the natural risks of the dwelling.
  • To finish your studies with peace of mind, check the length of the notice period and the name and address of the lessor mentioned on the lease. This is important information in case of litigation.
Students should inquire about the possibility of obtaining financial aid within the

Plan du site